Why we started recycling in our workplace
Why You Should Implement Recycling In Your Workplace
With an understanding that this planet is ours to take care of, sustainability is something we should all work towards. At Fusion, we are dedicated to doing our bit for the environment. Among other initiatives, we have teamed up with Global Metals to install a plastic and paper recycling bin in our workspace.
Having been in business since 2008, Global Metals is a processing and recycling company based in Doha. Collecting, processing and recycling materials to help Qatar reduce its waste output, the company is committed to the preservation of a greener environment, to help create a cleaner, safer and healthier world for future generations.
As we work on reducing our impact on landfill by ensuring paper and plastics are recycled correctly, we thought we’d have a closer look at the various benefits of recycling in the workplace, so you can see why you should make the change too.
Recycling in Qatar
As one of the world’s fastest-growing economies, Qatar has faced serious challenges with regards to solid waste management. Thanks to its high population growth rate, expansive urbanisation, fast-paced industrial growth, and economic expansion, Qatar has one of the highest per capita waste generation rates in the world, at 1.8 kg per day (1).
Qatar produces more than 2.5 million tons of municipal solid waste each year. This is made up of around 60% organic materials, with the rest being recyclables like glass, paper, metals, and plastics (2). So, what can be done about this?
Qatar’s Second National Development Strategy (2018-2022) outlines ways in which the State will increase its waste recycling rate while promoting environmental awareness on the importance of reducing the quantity of domestic solid waste. In doing this, it aims to achieve the target of recycling 15% of solid waste over the course of the Strategy.
Of course, you can do your bit too. As citizens and residents of Qatar, you can take your own initiative, making efforts to improve sustainability both at home and in the workplace. So, what changes can you make to help the environment and create positive outcomes for the future?
As you go about your day, consider the Four ‘R’s of green living: Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose and Recycle.
- Reduce: Think about how you can reduce your usage of electricity and water. For example, while taking a bath uses up to 120 litres of water, taking a short shower fitted with a low flow hose can use less than 20 litres of water.
- Reuse: Reuse items to extend their life instead of throwing them away. This could include using material bags instead of plastic bags for groceries, using empty food containers to store food stuffs, and donating your old clothes to those in need.
- Repurpose: Instead of adding to landfill, think about how you can reuse items to give them another purpose. Get creative to give old items a new life or sell or give them away to someone else who will.
- Recycle: By recycling waste items into materials that can be used again, we can reduce landfill. Research has shown that consistent recycling can reduce household waste to landfill by up to 80% (3).
Recycling in the Workplace
So, why should you make changes within your workplace? Here are some of the most important benefits of going green in your office.
- You can enhance your company’s image: Both your employees and your customers will appreciate your efforts to go green, as you prove you are interested in more than just your bottom line. Showing you are committed to protecting the environment may also help you attract new business, especially if those clients, customers or other companies are also green.
- You can make big changes with little effort: While it might take some time getting used to a new way of doing things, recycling is easy once you get the hang of it. Take some time to learn about what changes you will need to make, including how to separate your waste effectively.
- You can improve morale: Being proud of the company you work for can provide a huge boost to morale. If your employees are impressed with your efforts to go green, it will likely show in their overall outlook. With recycling reducing clutter – and with clutter reduction working to boost productivity – you may also see improved productivity as well.
- You can help the environment: Above all, recycling is great for the environment. Simple as that.
Want to find out more about how Fusion can help your business with great ideas, advice, and support? Give us a call today.